The UC Ethics and Compliance Briefing for Researchers (ECBR) course is intended for all University extramurally funded researchers, including faculty and staff researchers, as well as postdoctoral scholars. The course was developed by the UC Office of Ethics, Compliance and Audit Services at UCOP to raise awareness of the University of California Statement of Ethical Values and Standards of Ethical Conduct and to convey important information about conflict of interest (COI) regulations when accepting extramural research funds.
This training replaces the previous version called “Compliance & Conflict of Interest for Researchers Briefing (COIR)” and satisfies two mandatory training requirements:
- Ethics and Compliance Briefing, required for all UC employees including faculty and staff.
- Public Health Service (PHS) Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) training, required of all researchers with grants from a federal funding agency that has adopted PHS FCOI requirements.
It also addresses federal funding agency research security concerns.
The online course is available online through the UC Learning Center and is estimated to take 30-60 minutes to complete. Employees assigned to this course are exempt from the General Briefing training requirement.
Schedule: Within 90 days of assignment and every two years thereafter
Fulfillment Options: UC Ethics and Compliance Briefing for Researchers (ECBR) eCourse
- All included employees will receive a system-generated notification. You can also find the assignment listed in your Required Training analysis in the UC Learning Center
- Failure to complete the assignment by the due date will have a negative impact on performance appraisal ratings. Deans, chairs, and the Academic Senate will be involved to address noncompliance involving faculty.
- If you experience technical issues with the UC Learning Center, visit the troubleshooting page at https://hr.ucmerced.edu/uclc-troubleshoot.
- If you have questions regarding the requirement for you to take this course or if you have specific questions about the course content, please contact email@example.com