Reporting Improper Activities
The University has a responsibility to conduct its affairs ethically and in compliance with the law. If you suspect that a UC employee is engaged in improper governmental activities, you should know that UC has policies on "blowing the whistle" and protection from retaliation. Improper governmental activities include:
- Violations of state or federal laws or regulations (e.g., corruption, malfeasance, bribery, theft or misuse of government property, fraud, coercion, conversion),
- Economic waste, and
- Gross misconduct, gross incompetence, or gross inefficiency.
You can "blow the whistle" by reporting your allegations via phone or in writing using one of these resources:
- Contact UC Merced's Locally Designated Official at 228-2406,
- Use the Universitywide Whistleblower Hotline: Online UC Whistleblower Hotline or call (800) 403-4744. The hotline is independently operated to ensure anonymous and confidential reporting,
- California State Auditor: Online Complaint Form or call (800) 952-5665. For more information about reporting to this outside agency, please see the File a Complaint page on the State Auditor's website.
The University prohibits retaliation against employees who in good faith, report suspected ethical, legal, or policy violations. For more information about reporting suspected improper activities, please see the following resources: